Skip to main content

About your Search

Search Results 0 to 10 of about 11 (some duplicates have been removed)
senior congressional correspondent dana bash has been working her sources throughout the morning, joining me live now from washington. one of the things i see, dana, that's so frustrating, is we get a lot of rhetoric on television and we hear later about secret conversations. i just wonder how much rhetoric is going on behind closed doors or if they're really getting closer. >> reporter: well, you just mentioned there was a monphone l between the speaker and the president, and by all accounts, it really did not go well. i'm learning new information about why that may have been. i talked to a democratic source that the counteroffer the house republicans sent back to the white house late yesterday included a call for a permanent extension of bush era tax cuts for the top 2%. you know we've been talking constantly about the fact that the biggest divide between the two when it comes to taxes is that tax break for the wealthiest. so this democratic source who i talked to familiar with the proposal said this was a sign to the white house that the republicans are either unwilling or not capable
dana bash is turning to more details now on what's apparently going wrong. what's the latest? >> reporter: a very interesting moment when the former democratic house speaker nancy pelosi had blunt advice for the current republican house speaker in terms of learning how to get his caucus together to find a deal that can actually pass congress and that the president will sign and those blunt words were, quote, figure it out. sources of both parties say a tuesday evening phone call between the president and speaker boehner did not go well. >> well, the president and i had a deliberate call yesterday and we spoke honestly and openly about the differences that we face. >> cnn has learned at least part of the reason why. tuesday's gop counteroffer included a renewed explicit call for a, quote, permanent extension of bush era tack cuts for the top 2% of americans. according to a democratic source familiar with the language. the democratic source argued that proposing to permanently extend tax cuts for the wealthy that the president calls a nonstarter shows that republicans are eithe
congressional correspondent dana basch, she has the latest. >> reporter: there's so much political theater around here right now, you could say tickets. one of today's acts was the house leaving. lawmakers streaming out of the capitol hill, racing to their cars to get to the airport and go home. it's a scene you usually see on a thursday afternoon or friday morning, not wednesday at noon. >> good morning. >> house republican leaders told members they're free to leave, because they have nothing to vote on. >> i understand that you are saying legislation has been put on the floor. when it comes to just pure optics of the house leaving with the fiscal cliff right in front of us -- >> i'll be here and i'll be available at any moment to sit down with the president to get serious about solving this problem. >> in fact, sending lawmakers home is a way for house republicans to illustrate their current message, your move, mr. president. >> we need a response from the white house, we can't negotiate with ourselves. >> john boehner made a point at expressing dismay the president hasn't responded two
of the federal government since world war ii. dana priest and will yaj arkin have documented that the u.s. government has built 33 new building complexes for the intelligence bureaucracies alone, occupying 17 million square feet, the equivalent of 22 u.s. capitals or three pentagons. the department of homeland security itself employs almost one quarter of a million people. of course, there are new branches out there. those terrorists should be captured or killed, but we have done this before and we can do it again in the future under more normal legal circumstances. it will mean that the administration will have to be more careful and perhaps have more congressional involvement for certain actions like drone strikes. it might mean it will have to charge some of the people in guantanamo and try them in military or civilian courts. but is all this bad? so have we reached a point where we might consider shifting from emergency wartime powers? well, a new report is out this week, a new global terrorism index. it goes from 2002 to 2011. it shows that terrorism went up from '02 to '07 largely
created we have to get this behind us. >> joining me now, dana millbank and kristina. it's great to have you both here. bob corker said the idea of raising taxes on the top 2% has merit. the question is how much merit it has with speaker boehner and the republican party. where disease it stand? >> we have been hearing more and more encouraging noises. the republicans have taken steps in that right direction. i wouldn't get too mesmerized. there's incentive for them not to strike a deal at least until the last deal. i think you can count on them to do the right thing. after all the possibilities are exhausted. >> not everything is exhausted yet, just us talking about it. christina, elijah cummings says there's a deal 70% chance of happening. think about that. 30% chance of failing. what are you hearing in washington? >> well, you know, anybody that does predictions, you never know what is going to happen. >> unless your name is silver. >> exactly. there's a lot of time here. we are looking at today is december 9th. congress likes to take things to the brink. the pressure of the holidays a
. dana bash on the hill. a standoff here, republicans essentially saying, look, the president is not being reasonable here, and then you have the white house saying this is magic beans and fairy dust. is this a lot of posturing here? are we really at an impasse? >> yes to both of those questions. there is a lot of post urg, but we do seem to be at an impasse. i want to show our viewers some video that will illustrate just what we're talking about. that is pictures of members of the house of representatives leaving for the week, and now, i don't want tower viewers to get concerned. the calendars on the desk tops are not wrong. it is still wednesday. this did happen at noon on wednesday. it would be nice if all of us could do that, but -- >> yeah, really. >> this is not an accident. republican leaders say that they just simply have nothing to vote on right now on the floor of the house, and, you know, it helps them illustrate the whole message that they're sending out, which is that the ball is in the president's court. it is up to him to respond to the republicans at this point
-- >> oh, and before i do, dana rohrabacher from california has joined us, he's a valuable member of the foreign affairs committee. and the next ranking member from new york. thank you for coming. yeah, we appreciate it. he's going to be the ranking member of the full committee, so we're pleased to have both of you here today. and with that, we'll go ahead with your statement. and if we could keep your statements to five minutes, it would be great. >> it will be. mr. chairman, honorable members, thank you for the opportunity to testify. iranian officials sometimes quip they play chess while americans play checkers. increasingly, this appears to be the case in the caucuses and the surrounding region. while many policymakers describe the islamic republic as a regional power, the iranians themselves now describe themselves as a, quote-unquote, pan-regional power. iranians have a sense as strong as that of russian nationalists who pine to exert their influence over the states of the soviet union. azerbaijan and georgia are front and center in this conception. they combine both terror
] >> they are like dana lohse. >> yes. >> stephanie: sexy liberal terrorist, john fugelsang said what? [ screeching ] >> stephanie: my headline was -- inane liberal stephanie miller republican party wants to turn pour people into mulch. [ laughter ] >> and they only want to turn working people into mulch. that is really incorrect. welcome to right to work you goobers. here is what you signed up for. cops and fairmen this includes you in michigan now too. you damn fools here is what you paid for. >> in other words turn them into mulch. >> stephanie: exactly. >> i'm going to filibuster mulch. [ laughter ] >> stephanie: sexy liberal john fugelsang he got in early so he snatched him and we'll have him all next hour as well. and of course in washington, d.c. with january 19th which john fugelsang tickets going incredibly fast. >> incredibly fast especially because now we're going to have to do 400 shows in michigan this year. some see it it could be the last chance to see aisha and hal -- >> stephanie: and chris and jim and jacki are opening the show for us. >> they are. and we're g
Search Results 0 to 10 of about 11 (some duplicates have been removed)